“Changing status of residence” is a procedure that is performed when a foreigner who is currently residing stops the current activity or when he/she intends to perform an activity belonging to another status after achieving the purpose of residence.

The most common example is when an international student graduates from a Japanese university and finds a job at a company. In such a case, the status of residence is changed from “College Student” to “Engineer, Specialist in Humanities/International Services”, etc. In addition, if a foreigner who has already worked with a status of residence such as “Engineer, Specialist in Humanities/International Services” marries a Japanese, the status of residence can be changed to “Spouse or Child of Japanese National”.

As with the procedure for renewing your period of stay, this application for permission to change your status of residence is not necessarily permitted once you apply. According to the Immigration Control Law, “The Minister of Justice may grant this permission only if there is a reasonable reason to admit that the change of status of residence is appropriate based on the documents submitted by the foreigners. If you do not meet the requirements, you may not be allowed. The application can be submitted to the nearest Immigration Bureau, branch office, etc. by the person or agent, and the fee for permission to change status of residence is 4,000 yen.