The case a person who has a “Dependent” visa starts part-time job

Hi, everyone. I’m Nozomi, an immigration lawyer in japan.
Today, I’m going to tell you the case a person who has a “Dependent” visa starts part-time job.

When the person who has a “Dependent” visa wants to start part-time job, he or she must obtain the permission to engage in activity other than that permitted under the status of residence.

Conditions for permission

  • Must be a work within 28 hours per week
  • Must be Uninterrupted activities as a “Dependent” visa
  • Must be maintaining of activities of “Dependent” visa
  • The content of job must not be violation the law.
  • The job must not be related to the “entertainment” and “amusement trades”.

Violation of this condition may result in withdrawal of off-qualification activities or a deportation if the violation degree is high.

Attached documents in application

  • Documents that clarify the contents of activities related to the application
  • Residence Card(Presentation)
  • Passport(Presentation)
  • If you are unable to present your passport, a reason sheet stating the reason
  • Documents that prove your identity(When an immigration lawyer submit the application.)

※A seal of permission for non-qualified activities will be printed on the back of the residence card.


※”College Students” can work within 8 hours per day if their institution has a long holiday.
However, those who stay on a “Dependent” visa are not covered by the above rules.

Thank you for reading till the end. I’ll see you soon.