The case you want to bring an elderly parent to Japan

Hi, everyone. I’m Nozomi, an immigration lawyer in japan.
Today, I’ll tell you the case you want to bring an elderly parent to Japan.

There is no status of residence that can be obtained for the purpose of bringing elderly parents to Japan to support them. However, if there is a compelling reason to do and there has to be permitted it for humanitarian reasons, he or she may be allowed to stay in Japan with the status of residence for a “Designated Activities”.

[Authorization Requirements]

1. The parent is old.

The standard in Japan is supposed to be 70-75 years old.

2. That parent has no spouse.

Even if there are spouses outside of Japan, they must be separated and have no prospect of living together.

3. No dependents other than children in Japan.

There must be no relatives (children, brothers and sisters, etc.) to support your home country.

4. Children in Japan (including the children’s spouses) must earn a certain amount of income and be taxable.

Regarding the estimated income of dependent children (including their spouse), their most recent year’s income must be equal to or more than the number of amount of dependents (including parents) multiplied by 780,000 yen.

If all the above conditions No.1 to No.4 are not met, it would be not permitted.
However, even if you do not meet some of the requirements of No. 1 or No. 4, it may be allowed.


  • When it is difficult to treat in their home country due to their illness, etc.
  • If the parents have trouble with daily life and need nursing care.


※Bringing parents from your home country is outside the notification of “Designated Activities”, so they cannot obtain a “Certificate of Eligibility”.

  • First of all, after entering the country for a “Temporary Visitor“, then they are supposed to change their status of residence to a “Designated Activities“.
  • If they have stayed as a “Designated Activities” for a certain number of years and are admitted to be stable to stay in Japan, they may be able to change their status of residence as a “Long Term Resident“.

  • Thank you for reading till the end. I’ll see you soon.