If you want to bring your child from your home country

Hi, everyone. I’m Nozomi, an immigration lawyer in japan.
Today, I’ll tell you the case of bringing your child from your home country.

Some foreigners who marry Japanese and live in Japan have children in their home countries and live with their grandparents.
And when life in Japan has settled down, I often receive consultations to bring children from their home country to Japan and live together.
I will explain the procedure for that.


1.The child must be a minor and unmarried

Speaking of minors, depending on the country, in Japan, it is a kind of borderline with 18 years old.
If they are older, the Immigration Bureau suspects that they are visiting Japan for working purposes. Also, if they come to Japan over the age of 18, it is difficult to learn Japanese language and get used to Japanese culture, and in many cases they will return to their home country after all.

2.The household income must be over 3 million yen

Household annual income is also considered. If the household income is too low, it is determined that the child cannot be supported. Depending on where you live and the age of your child, you should have a minimum annual income of at least 3 million yen.


There are many things you should write in the reason for the application when you bring your child, but you must write about the necessity to bring them to Japan.
It also would be better to write in detail about the plans for your child after coming to Japan.
For example, it would be advantageous if you could write a specific school name, such as “Scheduled to enter elementary school,” and attach an “admission permit”.

It is also difficult to bring children who have completed the compulsory education period, that is, children over the age of 16, but there are exceptions.
The upper child is 17 years old and the lower child is 11 years old. In such a case, it is possible that both of them may be permitted by preparing and applying the application documents perfectly.
By the way, the status of residence of the child would be the “Long-term”.

Thank you for reading till the end. I’ll see you soon.